[whatwg] strong and em difference not clear

Rikkert Koppes lists at rikkertkoppes.com
Sun Feb 22 09:45:25 PST 2009

Maybe the terms "global emphasis" and "local emphasis" could help. In
printed media bold and italic print behave differently in the sense that
bold words grab attention directly, since it is based on lightness
difference, for which the entire retina is highly sensitive, whereas
italic words only grab attention when looked at, since it is based on
differences in orientation, for which the fovea is much more sensitive.

Hence, bold words have meaning with regard to the entire document and
italic words have meaning just for the sentence read at the moment.

Although the em and strong elements are deliberately detached from their
appearance, the emerging semantics (global and local emphasis) still
make sense. Note that from a perception point of view, global emphasis
may also be achieved by other means for which the entire retina is
sensitive. Difference in color for example. Local emphasis may also be
achieved by changing font. [1,2]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphasis_(typography)
[2] http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/em.html

Regards,