[whatwg] Video playback quality metric

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Feb 23 02:57:01 PST 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Jeremy Doig wrote:

> Measuring the rate at which the playback buffer is filling/emptying
> gives a fair indication of network goodput, but there does not appear to
> be a way to measure just how well the client is playing the video
> itself. If I have a wimpy machine behind a fat network connection, you
> may flood me with HD that I just can't play very well. The cpu or video
> card may just not be able to render the video well.Exposing a metric
> (eg: Dropped Frame count, rendered frame rate) would allow sites to
> dynamically adjust the video which is being sent to a client [eg: switch
> the url to a differently encoded file] and thereby optimize the playback
> experience.

One concern is that there are several possible reasons for playback to be
poor; the hardware could be simply unable to handle it, but it could also
be that the system is overloaded. For example, multiple videos could be
playing at once.

As a user, if I see choppy video, I can try to figure out whether my
system is loaded, and frankly I'd rather do that than have the Web page
automatically try to downgrade me...

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Michael A. Puls II wrote:

> Flash has low, medium and high quality that the user can change
> (although a lot of sites/players seem to rudely disable that option in
> the menu for some reason). This helps out a lot and can allow a video to
> play better. I could imagine an "Auto" option too that automatically
> switched quality as necessary to get decent playback.
>
> As an event, a site could use it like:
>
> video.onplaybacktooslow = function() {
>    this.quality = "low";
>    this.setToNativeSize(); // stretched videos use more cpu
> };
>
> Or, something like that.

I'd be interested in seeing what implementors would find easiest to
expose, once we have more implementation experience. Just an event along
the lines of "well I can't keep up with this"? An arbitrary quality
number where 0 is "this is the worst experience I've ever exposed the
user to" and 1 is "I'm not even breaking a sweat playing this"? Frames per
second? Dropped frames per second?

It should be noted that the spec already supports having the _browser_
automatically fall back to another stream. The author can include multiple
streams like this:

   <video>
    <source src="hd.mov">
    <source src="sd.mov">
    <source src="postage-stamp.mov">
   </video>

...and the browser is well within its rights to decide that it can't play
hd.mov (having downloaded it and examined it) and that it will use sd.mov
instead. I would be interested in feedback from browser vendors regarding
whether this is feasible to implement or not -- if it is, can we rely on
this instead of exposing it to scripts?

I've noted the idea of having an explicit way for scripts to determine
rendering quality for the v3 media element API. I haven't added anything
to the spec yet because we're still waiting for the current features to
get implemented and shipped reliably.