[whatwg] Dates and coordinates in HTML5

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 16:13:16 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> What's the expected end-of-life date for HTML5? Do we really want to
> hamstring ourselves 'til then, by considering only current, as-of-2009,
> capabilities?

HTML5 is not supposed to have an end-of-life.  It's meant to be
forward-compatible, with all its features supported indefinitely.  If
new features are needed after HTML5 is stabilized, they should be
added to HTML6.  As with HTML5, particularly useful features from
HTML6 may be widely implemented fairly early in the HTML6
standardization process.  They might even be implemented before some
features from HTML5 (cf. Gecko still not supporting some <col>
attributes from HTML4).  So it might not be too far away at all.

The point of considering only current needs is to ensure that the
solutions meet the needs well.  If you try to meet every possible need
that people might have in the future, you're not likely to do a good
job.  Thus the emphasis on clear and immediate use-cases.  I didn't
notice you mentioning any of those in your posts.  What are some
examples of actual, concrete applications with user-visible
functionality that would be aided by extending <time> as you propose?