[whatwg] RDFa is to structured data, like canvas is to bitmap and SVG is to vector

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Sat Jan 17 14:30:36 PST 2009

On Saturday 2009-01-17 22:25 +0200, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> The story of RDF is very different. Of the top four engines, only Gecko
> has RDF functionality. It was implemented at a time when RDF was a young
> W3C REC and stuff that were W3C RECs were implemented less critically
> than nowadays.

Actually, the implementation was well underway *before* RDF was a
W3C REC, done by a team led by one of the designers of RDF.  In
other words, it was in Gecko because there were RDF advocates at
Netscape (although advocating, I think, a somewhat different RDF
than the current RDF recommendations).

Compare the dates on:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222/
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-rdf-schema-19990303/
http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?treeid=default&module=all&branch=HEAD&branchtype=match&dir=mozilla%2Frdf&file=&filetype=match&who=&whotype=match&sortby=Date&hours=2&date=explicit&mindate=1998-01-01&maxdate=1999-01-01&cvsroot=%2Fcvsroot

-David