[whatwg] Trying to work out the problems solved by RDFa

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri Jan 2 02:58:56 PST 2009

On Jan 1, 2009, at 06:41, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> There are many cases where people build their own dataset and
> queries to solve a local problem. As an example, Opera is not
> intersted in asking Google to index data related to internal
> developer documents, and use it to produce further documentation we
> need. However, we do automatically extract various kinds of data
> from internal documents and re-use it. While Opera does not in fact
> use the RDF toolstack for that process, there are many other large
> companies and organisations who do, and who would benefit from being
> able to use RDFa in that process.

If the data production and consumption are both under the control of
one entity (Opera in this case), why does the solution need to be
engineered for spontaneous integration of decentralized data sources?

Do the savings of using off-the-shelf tools outweigh the cost they
impose by not being quite right for any specific purpose? Presumably
the Opera-specific processing is more significant than generic
parsing. Or is it?

It seems that RDFa is motivated by private data and by interchange at
the same time. This suggests multiple bilateral access control
agreements instead of a Web-like system where data is made available
for GETting without prior agreement between the parties.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/