[whatwg] The FAQ and other information

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jan 2 19:47:11 PST 2009

With the new year I thought I'd take the opportunity to remind everyone of
some of our community's resources:

   The FAQ - http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ
   This contains many replies to common questions about process,
   timetable, and about common topics of discussion. I recommend it to
   anyone who has not read it recently, as it can be good to have a
   refresher about the basics occasionally.

   The Blog - http://blog.whatwg.org/
   Anyone is open to post on the WHATWG blog, so if you have something
   about HTML5 or the WHATWG to say, feel free to write it. It can even be
   controversial, if you so desire! Mark Pilgrim has been doing a great
   series on what's going on, "this week in HTML5", so if you are having
   trouble following the mailing list this is a good one to follow too.

   IRC -- #whatwg on Freenode
   We often talk about random things on IRC, feel free to join in.

   Forums - http://forums.whatwg.org/
   If you prefer forums, feel free to participate here.

To track the progress of the group, you can follow our Twitter feed or
subscript to the relevant mailing list:

   http://twitter.com/WHATWG

The recent changes are also listed at:

   http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker

This tool also lets you filter the list by how important the change was
and who was affected.

The list of pending e-mails is online at:

   http://www.whatwg.org/issues/

A graph showing progress towards zero e-mails is also available:

   http://www.whatwg.org/issues/

As a reminder we are also working in conjunction with the W3C's HTML
working group, information on which can be found at:

   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > We generally want to wait until a given item is truly established
> > before speccing it, so that we can work with existing [...]
>
> Oh really? That's news to me.

It's in the FAQ:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_the_spec.3F

> If this is principle we agree on that we really should start cutting
> lots of things from the spec.

Yes -- please do bring up things that need to be cut. This is also
mentioned in the FAQ:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_removing_bad_ideas_from_the_spec.3F

Cheers,