[whatwg] Trying to work out the problems solved by RDFa

Ben Adida ben at adida.net
Fri Jan 9 11:48:36 PST 2009

Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Because the issue is that we don't yet know if we want to support
>> RDFa.  That's the whole point of this thread.  Nobody's given a useful
>> problem statement yet, so we can't evaluate whether there's a problem
>> we need to solve, or how we should solve it.
>
> For the record: I disagree with that. I have the impression that no
> matter how many problems are presented, the answer is going to be: "not
> that stone -- fetch me another stone".

For the record: I completely agree with Julian. This is why I haven't
jumped into this thread yet again.

The key piece of evidence here is SearchMonkey, a product by Yahoo that
specifically uses RDFa. Even its microformat support funnels everything
to an RDF-like metadata approach. With thousands of application
developers and some concrete examples that specifically use RDFa (the
Creative Commons application being one of them), the message from many
on this list remains "not good enough."

I'm not sure where the bar is, but it seems far from objective.

-Ben