[whatwg] WebIDL vs HTML5 storage changes - delete behavior

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jan 13 01:40:05 PST 2009

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> If "storage.keyName = 'value';" can create a new storage item
> (persistently), won't authors expect "delete storage.keyName;" to remove
> it (persistently), as a matter of consistency?
>
> If overloading "delete" is too quirky or too hard to implement, then it
> seems none of the other shorthands should be allowed either.

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Many objects in the DOM implement custom name getters (for instance
> NodeList) and a few even implement custom name setters
> (CSSStyleDeclaration, at least the way it is done in WebKit) but no one
> has clamored for a custom deleter or expected delete to work "as a
> matter of consistency" or been confused that "style.opacity = 0" is
> allowed but "delete style.opacity" is not. So I would say the available
> evidence argues against your conclusions.

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Brady Eidson wrote:

> I am a lot more swayed by this argument against adoption.
>
> At this point, my concerns are not of a technical nature, but rather of
> a "real life web" nature - either you force FFX and IE8 to remove it,
> you have others adopt it, or the spec introduces a de facto
> incompatibility on the web.
>
> I have no solution, only this particular awareness of the problem.

Since we have implementations, and implementors don't seem willing to
remove it, I haven't removed the 'delete' functionality for Storage.

I have, however, removed the similar functionality in UndoManager, lest
someone implement it.

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Ian wrote:
> >
> > Originally, I wanted Storage objects to be indistinguishable from
> > Object objects in JS, and native hash or collection objects in other
> > bindings. Conceptually, that's what these objects are -- native
> > name/value pair collections that happen to be mapped to non-volatile
> > storage (or somewhat- volatile storage, in the case of
> > sessionStorage).
>
> Normal objects don't fire DOM events when you change their properties (I
> imagine the same may be true of native hash objects in at least some
> languages), so the indistinguishability only goes so far.

Well, .watch() supported by some UAs somewhat goes against this. But ok.

> > I'd also like the "delete" operator to work on DOMStringMap (for the
> > dataset object -- calling 'delete' on that has the side-effect of
> > removing the underlying attribute) and UndoManager (where the
> > side-effect is to remove the entry and renumber the following entries,
> > so maybe that's not such a good idea after all), for what it's worth.
> > If we want to decide that we're not supporting this, we should decide
> > that before implementations of those come about.
>
> Those both sound suboptimal to me. UndoManager because it remove more
> than the one item, and DOMStringMap because (a) you can't delete from
> NamedNodeMap to remove an attribute so it would be inconsistent and (b)
> removing an attribute causes a mutation event to fire and thus runs
> arbitrary code (creating the same problem of 'delete' running arbitrary
> code as Storage).
>
> > For DOMStringMap, my intention was to not provide methods at all, and
> > only provide the JS-native mechanisms.
>
> A bold choice, but I would not recommend it as the sole available
> mechanism.

See above for UndoManager, but for DOMStringMap I don't want to add any
other mechanisms, because they introduce name clashes. Right now the IDL
for DOMStringMap is:

   [NameCreator, NameDeleter, NameGetter, NameSetter]
   interface DOMStringMap {};

It basically emulates a JS Object. It's intended only for JS. I don't see
why this is a bad idea.