[whatwg] DOM Storage feedback

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Tue Jan 13 04:48:29 PST 2009

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:44:22 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
> I talked with Cameron a while ago about what the default behavior
> should be for null. We couldn't find any functions that required that
> null be treated as "null", but there are several examples of functions
> that require that null be treated as the empty string.

alert() requires it. Besides that I believe we (Opera) specifically did it
for methods here and there to be more compatible with Internet Explorer
and make sites work better.

> So from a code purity point of view it would be nicer if we could make
> the default behavior be that null is treated as "null" as that would
> require fewer exceptions.
>
> The downside is that it would be a bigger change for more UAs than
> going the other way around. So there's more risk of compat problems.

Indeed, I would rather not change Opera's behavior where we stringify just
like Internet Explorer without some kind of data that shows it will not
give problems.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>