[whatwg] Issues concerning the <base> element and xml:base

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jan 15 20:15:41 PST 2009

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Calogero Alex Baldacchino wrote:

> What should happen to a linked style sheet disabled during the first
> casced and enabled after the <base> has been changed? Or if it was first
> enabled, than disabled before changing the <base>, and re-enabled after?

For external resource links created with the <link> element, the URL is
resolved when the resource is fetched, which can be delayed if the
resource doesn't apply yet (e.g. because a media query doesn't yet match).
This could lead to situations where different user agents had compliant
behavior, unfortunately, but this is one case where I can't see how to
avoid it without requiring suboptimal behavior.