[whatwg] DOM-related and API-related feedback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sat Jan 31 23:37:18 PST 2009

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Agreed on the latter.
>
> On the former, it wouldn't be a problem for websites per se, but the
> aliasing needs to happen when a page whose origin is a globally unique
> identifier has an about:blank iframe.  Or rather, the origin of the
> iframe needs to be the _same_ globally unique identifier.  In Gecko this
> is implemented by simply using the same origin object for both.
>
> Note that in IE the security model around about:blank is pretty weird
> last I checked, so I'd want to see some pretty exhaustive tests before
> changing Gecko behavior in web-facing about:blank.

I haven't changed the spec here, because it's not clear to me exactly what
should be changed any why. If there is a specific thing in the spec that
needs changing, please let me know (ideally with the URL of a site that
depends on it), so that I can make the change.

As a general rule I'd like the spec to line up as closely as possible to
IE, since IE's behavior has generally been considered the "de facto"
standard and since, well, to put it bluntly, I expect it will be easier
for us to get non-Microsoft browsers to line up on what IE does than vice
versa for a lot of this stuff.