[whatwg] DOMTokenList is unordered but yet requires sorting

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Sun Jul 12 22:26:09 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Ian Hickson<ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, João Eiras wrote:

>> > Since DOMTokenList requires uniqueness, then I suspect it's still O(n
>> > log n) even without sorting, not O(n).
>>
>> Oh, I have forseen that. Is it really necessary to remove duplicates ? I
>> imagine DOMTokenList to be similar to what can be achieved with a
>> String.split(), but then it would be just more duplicate functionality.
>
> If we don't remove duplicates, then things like the .toggle() method could
> have some quite weird effects.

Such as? The only one I can think of is that calling .toggle() would
remove multiple items. I don't see that as a problem?

Define .remove() as removing all tokens with the given value, and .toggle() as:

function toggle(token) {
  if (this.contains(token))
    this.remove(token);
  else
    this.add(token);
}

I definitely think it'd be worth avoiding the code complexity and perf
hit of having the implementation remove duplicates if they appear in
the class attribute given how extremely rare duplicates are.

/ Jonas