[whatwg] oninput for contentEditable

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 14 19:02:13 PDT 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Ojan Vafai wrote:

> Currently, textareas and text inputs support the "oninput" event that
> fires on all user-initiated modifications to their content. We should
> add this event to contentEditable elements as well and add an "action"
> property the specifies what action the user took that caused the input
> event.

I haven't yet added this.

I think we should probably address the various problems with
contenteditable all at once, to make sure the solution is coherent
overall. I'm watching what happens with the mutation event changes and
tracking proposals for various other changes to contentEditable.

It may be that we need to defer these changes to after HTML5 reaches last
call, though, and have them in a future version next year some time.