[whatwg] AppCache can't serve different contents for different users at the same URL

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jul 29 11:40:02 PDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Michael Nordman wrote:

> 'Named' cache groups under a single manifest url is an interesting idea.
> Presumably the webapp would be generating the 'name' in the manifest
> file based on a cookie value. Another possibility is something along the
> lines of what is proposed in the DataCache draft: the manifest indicates
> a cookie name, and the value of that cookie determines the 'name' of the
> subgroup. And the value of that cookie also determines which subgroup is
> enabled at any given time.

I'm reluctant to do anything explicitly based on cookies because that
would link two features in a way that might not be useful for all authors.
In general I'd much rather we keep features of the Web platform
orthogonal. For example, I'd want appcache to also work with HTTP auth, or
with some other authentication mechanism over FTP, etc.