[whatwg] Chipset support is a good argument

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Jul 6 01:04:39 PDT 2009

On Jul 6, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Lino Mastrodomenico wrote:

> HTML5 solves this problem because now the player is embedded in the
> browser, so I started using <video src="whatever.ogv"> and hiding the
> YouTube <object> blurb inside it as a fallback. This should work with
> every browser (except maybe Safari without XiphQT???), gives me the
> freedom to choose exactly the resolution I want and a bit of
> Independence from YT, which is good (think about cases like a troll
> flagging my videos: AFAIK YouTube automatically removes videos after a
> certain number of flags).

Here's an example of some markup that will work on a wide range of
browsers, if you provide Ogg and MP4 versions of your video: <http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody
 >. The MP4 version can be played either through <video> in browsers
that support that, or by Flash or QuickTime or Windows Media Player.
This actually results in video that works better in more browsers than
Flash alone.

(Personally I'd recommend putting the H.264 <source> first instead of
last, so browsers that support both H.264 and Theora will pick the
higher-quality video.)

If you are willing to ignore IE and older browser versions, you can
use the simpler markup here that just uses <video> with two <source>s:
<http://daringfireball.net/2009/07/ffmpeg2theora>

Regards,
Maciej