[whatwg] Adding SVG Filter-like functionality to Canvas 2D Context

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Jul 6 13:54:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:09 AM, <hansschmucker at gmail.com> wrote:

> SVG Filters are a relatively easy spec, where the most important parts can
> be implemented in a matter of hours.

Speaking as an implementor of SVG filters, I don't believe you :-).

Am I the only one seeing any benefit for this or does anybody else think
> that would be hope for such a proposal?

I agree that we need a convenient way to use filters with canvas. But I
would rather not create an entirely new object model.

How about a drawImageWithFilter method that takes the same set of parameters
as drawImage plus a reference to an SVG <filter> element? The image is used
for Source/SourceAlpha and the size of the image establishes the object
bounding box for filter and filter primitive units. Since drawImage can draw
a canvas, this seems completely flexible.

Rob
53:5-6]