[whatwg] Adding SVG Filter-like functionality to Canvas 2D Context

Hans Schmucker hansschmucker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:38:00 PDT 2009

*sigh* I hate it when I start sounding whiny and I probably did in the

I'll try to sum it up again without the whining sound.

I simply think that when using SVG filters, we are much more likely to
add a lot of these "border-cases" where browsers behave subtly
different. We already have that problem with SVG in general and it's
really holding SVG back. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid that
with Canvas filters. A lot of functionality offered by SVG filters is
either already included elsewhere in the Canvas spec or simply not
relevant. I think if we strip the filter API of these cases we can
make using it a lot more stable, predictable and attractive to
developers.