[whatwg] Session history

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jul 6 22:40:47 PDT 2009

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Olli Pettay wrote:
> > > [22:59]	<smaug>	I'm trying to understand the "Each browsing context,
> > > including
> > > nested browsing context, has a distinct session history."
> > > [23:00]	<smaug>	but in practice if go(-1) is called in a iframe (and
> > > it hasn't
> > > been navigated from the original page), the top level page is navigated
> >
> > I've now fixed the spec to match IE's behaviour when it comes to
> > history.go(), history.length, and history.back().
> >
> > This doesn't quite match what Gecko, Webkit, or Opera do, but then they all
> > each do their own slightly different thing, so I had to pick one, and IE
> > seemed like the obvious choice.
>
> Can you possibly summarize the differences you encountered?  Or at least
> point to the specific tests on which the behaviors differed, assuming
> you put them all up?

I didn't work out what the algorithms for the other browsers were, because
IE's was actually sane for once (shockingly).

However, in Gecko, for instance, the following tests act differently than
in IE:

   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/dom/level0/history/002.html
   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/dom/level0/history/003.html
   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/dom/level0/history/004.html

Off-hand I can't really work out what Gecko is doing.