[whatwg] DOM3 Load and Save for simple parsing/serialization?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 7 19:52:21 PDT 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Brett Zamir wrote:
> >On Mon, 18 May 2009, Brett Zamir wrote:
> >>
> >> Has any thought been given to standardizing on at least a part of DOM
> >> Level 3 Load and Save in HTML5?
> >
> > DOM3 Load and Save is already standardised as far as I can tell. I
> > don't see why HTML5 would have to say anything about it.
>
> The hope was that there would be some added impetus to have browsers
> settle on a standard way of doing this, since to my knowledge, it looks
> to me like only Opera has implemented DOM Level 3 L&S (Mozilla for one
> hasn't seemed keen on implementing it), and I'm afraid this otherwise
> very important functionality will remain unimplemented or unstandardized
> across browsers.

HTML5 isn't a platform for supporting other specifications; specs should
live and die on their own merits. :-)

> DOMParser() and XMLSerializer() may be available in more than just
> Mozilla, but are not standardized,

It may be worth specifying them. I've added them to the list of Things To
Specify:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Companion_specifications#Specs_to_edit

> and innerHTML, along with the other issues Boris mentioned in the
> "DOMParser / XMLSerializer" thread (e.g., being able to parse by content
> type like XML), just doesn't sound appropriate to handle plain XML
> document when its called "innerHTML".

If the name is the biggest problem, I think I'm ready to call it done. :-)