[whatwg] Selectable category tree, nested optgroups?

Oldřich Vetešník vetesnik at mrmil.cz
Thu Jul 9 02:06:07 PDT 2009

Hi,

Imagine you have a (for example) category tree like this:

* Cars
   * Sporty
   * Limo
     * 18 wheeler
   * Bloody good
   * Big
* Places to live in
   * Villa
   * Flat
   * Under bridge

and you are to select one for your article of some sort. <optgroup> isn't
capable of doing this at the moment as it cannot be nested and you cannot
select "Cars" category (it's its label attribute). Currently this is done
by intending with spaces and, in my humble opinion, it doesn't look too
accessible - I wouldn't want to crawl through it with my screenreader if
it was a longer list.

I'm here to ask if there is/could be a better way than intending.

Thanks,
Ollie.