[whatwg] Serving up Theora <video> in the real world

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 15:11:26 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 5:59 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> * In Safari with XiphQT, we can *probably* detect Theora's MIME type
> as being supported and it will Just Work (more or less).

I'm now being told that our workaround of checking for system mime
types stopped working and isn't working for users with Safari 4.0.2
and fresh XiphQT installs.

We've been doing querying navigator.plugins to look for 'video/ogg'
since canPlayType fails for Ogg/Theora even when XiphQT is installed
for current Safari (I understand that this is fixed in development
builds).

I'm trying to figure out where the plugin mime detection workaround
stopped and why.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Benjamin M.
Schwartz<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>> * In the one released browser that supports <video> and Theora,
>> Firefox 3.5, this will Just Work.
>
> Two! Firefox and Chrome.

AFAIK Chrome support is only in the developer builds, not the full
released stuff yet.