[whatwg] Serving up Theora <video> in the real world

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:01:07 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/9 Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette at google.com>:
>
>> As Peter said, please don't just block Chrome flat out -- if you must, just
>> block Chrome under version 3. Note that when we push 3 to stable, everyone
>> will be automatically updated.
>

> As version 3 is easily detectable, presumably we'd just detect it.

The code on Wikipedia, OggHandler, directly checks for video tag
support. Further tests attempt to deal with canplaytype and safari,
etc..  but HTML5 video on Wikipedia will just work on anything that
supports HTML5 video and Ogg/Theora.

The JS is pretty readable:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/extensions/OggHandler/OggPlayer.js?10