[whatwg] HTML 5 video tag questions

Jeff Walden jwalden+whatwg at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 10 18:11:22 PDT 2009

On 10.7.09 17:44, Ian Hickson wrote:
> The design is based around the assumption that we will eventually find a
> common codec so that fallback won't ever be needed in supporting UAs.

So has anyone ever actually pointed out the elephant in the room here, that we might never do so?  I can't remember if so.  Maybe HTML5: Galaxy Quest (cf. Captain Taggart's line) just isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future.  (I'm also not convinced that we substantially hurt ourselves by making fallback content the final <source>.)

Jeff