[whatwg] Serving up Theora <video> in the real world

Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) ifette at google.com
Sat Jul 11 07:56:40 PDT 2009

2009/7/11 Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com>wrote:
>
>> Well I disagree of course, because having canPlayType("video/ogg") mean
>> anything else than "can I demux Ogg streams" is pointless.
>>

> So you want "canPlayType" to mean one thing when provided a type without
> codecs, and another thing when provided a type with codecs. I don't think
> that's a good idea.
>
> Anyway, it's too late. If you care passionately about this you should have
> reopened this discussion months ago, not now that two browsers have just
> shipped support for the API in the spec.

Disagree -- the whole point of candidate rec (which the spec is driving
towards) is to find out how implementable the spec is -- not just from the
browser side, but from a web author side as well. If a feature turns out to
not be implementable /  usable in practice, that is certainly valid feedback
at this stage.

(Not to say it wouldn't be better to have had this conversation earlier, but
I definitely don't think that the ship has sailed on this, and in practice
some things you only find out once it's implemented and you can actually try
using it.)