[whatwg] html5 state handling: overview and extensions

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sat Jul 11 22:07:02 PDT 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Mike Wilson wrote:

>   A naive solution for this would be to add something similar to a
>   browser_context-scoped cookie.

There have been several requests for things along these lines; I'd
recommend taking them up with the working group working on cookies.

> Invisible Document state for GET requests
>   There currently is no support for associating invisible state
>   with a Document delivered with GET. This is also an area where
>   web frameworks have worked around this problem, and typical
>   workarounds are to use url-based (visible) state or to switch to
>   POST instead.

This is by design, as I understand it. It sounds like a feature request
for the HTTP working group, though.

Going forward I would expect authors to use AJAX-like interaction models
so that there is only one page, and the state is all scripted.

> Document state
>   There currently is no support for associating script state on the
>   Document level. Any state saved in DOM or script global object
>   will be lost on a page reload.

You can use pushState() to add an entry if your state changes relative to
the original state described in the resource.

>   Use cases would include single-page Ajax applications that want
>   to store data independent of a certain history entry, but at the
>   same time not sharing it with other page loads (Documents) of the
>   same application in the history of the same browsing context
>   (otherwise sessionStorage could be used).

That's not a use case, that's a description of what it enables. When would
this ever happen?