[whatwg] <embed> and <object>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jul 12 22:21:01 PDT 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:

> 1) What is the difference between <embed> and <object> in the spec?
> The wording is quite different, but seem to say basically the same
> thing: "plugin data".

<object>'s behaviour, for historical reasons, is subtly different to
<embed>'s in a number of cases.

> 2) Under <object> it says: "The object element can represent an external
> resource, which, depending on the type of the resource, will either be
> treated as an image, as a nested browsing context, or as an external
> resource to be processed by a plugin."
>
> Why specify that a User Agent will use a plugin to process the data if
> it is not an image or nested browsing context?  Why not leave that
> decision up to the User Agent?

The term "plugin" is defined in a way that actually does leave it up to
the UA.

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Thomas Broyer wrote:

> Though, now that HTML5 introduces <video> and <audio>, I wonder if
> <object> couldn't be equivalent to those when type of the resource is
> some video or sound...

significantly more complicated than desired. The overloading of <object>
as it already is was a mistake that we don't want to continue making.