[whatwg] Nested list

Erik Vorhes erik at textivism.com
Mon Jul 13 08:45:33 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Ryosuke Niwa<rniwa at google.com> wrote:

> Does anyone see a serious compatibility issue with adding ol / ul as child
> nodes of ol / ul?  I feel like not allowing them is more problematic given
> the situation.

Part of the reason that browsers handle this--
<ul>
    <li></li>
    <li></li>
</ul>
-- pretty well is because, in HTML 4.01 (and earlier HTML specs), <li>
was not required to be explicitly closed, so it would implicitly
handle that <ol> as a child of the preceding <li>. (Inconsistencies in
rendering most likely arise because the browser havs already found the
explicit close to a list item before getting to the nested list.)

Do you have use case for when a child list is *not* an item in the
parent list? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense *not* to wrap the child
list in the <li> element.

Erik