[whatwg] HTML 5 video tag questions

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Jul 14 03:05:00 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> For the current model, note that all the text says is "should not show this
> content to the user".  While this is not defined anywhere, it doesn't seem
> to indicate that the content's DOM should not exist, for example.  In Gecko,
> at least, the image in your example will be loaded and hence its onload will
> fire.

There's actually a fairly major related problem here. We hide the fallback
content by treating it as display:none. Currently Gecko has a huge bug where
a display:none plugin does not load/run. This works out well for the video
fallback case. If we fix that bug, then unless we do some special magic,
plugin-based video fallback will run and play audio while the <video>
element plays --- very bad.

People have already discovered that <video src="hellokitty.ogv"><object
data="hellokitty.ogv"></object></video> plays the audio track twice in
Firefox, and aren't happy about it, although it's what the spec seems to
suggest. I'm not sure how to modify the spec in a sane way to fix this case,
though.

Rob
53:5-6]