[whatwg] Make Vorbis a baseline codec for <audio>

Adam Shannon ashannon1000 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 17:27:11 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/16 Adam Shannon <ashannon1000 at gmail.com>:
>
> > It has been tried but Apple will not implement it due to hardware
> > limitations.
>

> Hardware limitations or patent limitations? Either seems ill-matched
> to evidence-based reasoning.
>
> What was Apple's issue with Vorbis audio? I'd like to hear from Apple on
> this.
>
> (Someone who is actually speaking for Apple, not someone who appears
> to be speaking for Apple then claims "oh I was just speaking as
> myself" when called on something unacceptable.)

This was from an email that Ian posted, I do not know if it is directly from
Apple.  I am just posting it as reference, you will have to ask Ian to the
source/creditability of the statement.

"Apple refuses to implement Ogg Theora in Quicktime by default (as
used by Safari), citing lack of hardware support and an uncertain
patent landscape."

 ( http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-June/020620.html
 )

--