[whatwg] Validation

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 15:32:55 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 8:12 PM, <Darxus at chaosreigns.com> wrote:
> Say I have some pages on my site that are HTML7, because I know that IE 10
> has pretty good support for it.  And I have some other pages that are in
> HTML9 which became a Recommendation 4 years ago but which which IE 10
> still doesn't support, but I have been very careful to accommodate IE
> 10 users by various means.  And I want to use a spidering validator on
> my entire site.  And I want to make sure that the HTML7 stuff is valid
> HTML7 so I can mostly not worry about it working with IE 10, but the
> HTML9 pages obviously wouldn't validate as HTML7.

So have the validator say "This is valid HTML7" or "This is valid
HTML9" or "This is valid HTML7, HTML8, and HTML9" or whatever is
applicable.  It can check all the standards at once.  Why does it need
to check only one?

If there are practical issues, of course, a later version of HTML
could always mandate a different doctype, and validators would know
that <!doctype html> means HTML 5, while <!doctype html6> means HTML
6, or whatever.  But this doesn't seem necessary or useful.