[whatwg] Audio synthesis

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Wed Jul 22 01:06:23 PDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 04:38:08 +0200, Patrick Mueller
<pmuellr at muellerware.org> wrote:

> Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Patrick Mueller
>> <pmuellr at muellerware.org>wrote:
>>
>>> I've just started playing a bit with audio.  One thing I noticed with
>>> both
>>> FF 3.5 and WebKit nightlies is that usage of the "loop" attribute set
>>> true does not provide seamless looping.  ie, there is a significant
>>> pause
>>> between when the audio clip end is reached and when the clip starts
>>> again.
>>>
>>  That might be related to the fact that we haven't implemented 'loop'
>> yet.
>
> Woops, caught me there.  It's exciting to have programmatic audio
> available AT ALL, was forgetting some of the details.
>
> But since you mention it, any idea whether the Moz developers plan on
> implementing seamless looping or not?  I'm curious whether anyone cares,
> and what folks interpretation of looping means.  The spec should be made
> more specific, one way or another ("must/should/may implement seamless
> looping").  Or even provide some other mechanism to allow for seamless
> looping if the current APIs are insufficient, and it's deemed important.

The spec simply says "If the media element has a loop attribute specified,
then seek to the earliest possible position of the media resource and
abort these steps." This would give seamless looping if an implementation
makes an effort to make it so. I certainly don't think there should be an
option to have seamless looping or not, each implementation will simply
have to do its best.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer