[whatwg] Make quoted attributes a conformance criterion

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 06:09:33 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Keryx Web<webmaster at keryx.se> wrote:
> My analogy was simply this: Just like it makes sense for a JavaScript lint
> tool to enforce semi-colons, it makes sense for an HTML conformance checker
> to enforce quotation marks.

A lint tool is not a conformance checker.  Your proposal here is
analogous to removing ASI from ECMAScript, such that a program which
relied on it would not be conformant.

I recommend that you find an HTML guru of the same stature as
Crockford in the JS community, and convince her to write a lint tool
which forbids unquoted attribute values.  Once you have that, you can
(attempt to) popularize that style via evangelism for the lint tool,
rather than trying to foist your stylistic preferences -- which, as it
happens, I share -- onto the world via spec requirements.

Mike