[whatwg] Installed Apps

Sebastian Markbåge sebastian at calyptus.eu
Mon Jul 27 17:16:53 PDT 2009

> 2) For multi-process browsers like Chrome, there seem to be limitations as
> to what can actually be accessed between processes (direct DOM access across
> process boundaries seems problematic for example). Do you have ideas about
> how to address this, since assumedly the page calling getInstalledApp()
> could be running under some arbitrary process?

Even with single-process browsers you would have to handle threading issues
in a way that is just not done in all browsers yet.

For a) - Having some way to load large amounts of cached javascript quickly
> in a new page seems like an issue that would be nice to address in general,
> not just for pages that install hidden pages. Are there other approaches
> worth trying here?

here is client state. It's often a good idea to have a copy of running
scripts in each process for stability anyway. However, cached
parsing/pre-compilation (if available) of scripts might be a generally good
idea. Perhaps some kind of process cloning like *nix forks?

IMHO, this could be solved cleaner and more memory efficient way with some
form of persistent workers rather than a "hidden" page. But I might be
missing something.