[whatwg] Installed Apps

Michael Kozakewich mkozakewich at icosidodecahedron.com
Mon Jul 27 20:43:54 PDT 2009

 On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Michael Davidson<mpd at google.com> wrote:

> THE PROBLEM
>
> <snip>
> feature parity with desktop applications.
> <snip>
>
> A SOLUTION
>
> <snip>
> hidden HTML/JS page running
> in the background that can access the DOM of visible windows.
> <snip>
>
> KNOWN ISSUES
>
> As mentioned in earlier discussions about persistent workers,
> permissioning UI is a major issue.

Isn't this what Google Gears was created to handle? I run Google Reader from
my Quick Launch, like an application, and sometimes have it open all day. It
notifies me (thought silently) of new items. The only improvement I could
see would be to make it minimize to the tray and make popup notifications,
as well as improve the offline features.
I'm sure web workers are as limited as they are for security concerns.