[whatwg] Dates BCE

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 13:45:52 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Jim O'Donnell<jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk> wrote:
> I think Google News Timeline is worth mentioning here as an application
> which already does this
> http://newstimeline.googlelabs.com/
> It shows
> events going back to the late Middle Ages. I'm not sure how they've harvested the dates from wikipedia. Perhaps by using microformatted dates?

Probably by looking at the category markup Wikipedia uses, which is
specific not only to MediaWiki but the particular decisions of the
English Wikipedia editing community.  <time> certainly wouldn't help
here -- this application doesn't need a way to say "this text string
denotes a particular time", but rather "this event happened at this
particular time".  You need to use Microdata or RDF or such for that
kind of relationship semantics.