[whatwg] Stripping newlines from URI attributes

Alex Henrie alexhenrie24 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:34:34 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Kartikaya Gupta
<lists.whatwg at stakface.com>wrote:

> This behavior doesn't seem to be specced anywhere as far as I can tell.
> Assuming the WEBADDRESSES spec referred to in HTML5 is the one at
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/href/draft.html that only says to trim
> leading/trailing whitespace and url-encode the rest. This doesn't seem to
> match existing behavior, so it should probably be updated.

RFC 3986, which is referenced in the Web addresses specification, states "In
some cases, extra whitespace (spaces, line-breaks, tabs, etc.) may have to
be added to break a long URI across lines. The whitespace should be ignored
when the URI is extracted." Firefox's behavior appears to be consistent with
this.

-Alex