[whatwg] innerStaticHTML

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jun 5 18:09:37 PDT 2009

I include below a summary of the feedback received on the topic of a
security-aware innerHTML.

Defining a spec-blessed whitelist of element, attributes, and attribute
values is and filtering at the parser level is a significant new feature.
While I see that it has value, I think on the short term it would be
better to wait for a future version of HTML before introducing this
feature; ideally once we have more implementation experience with
experimental versions of this idea.

I would encourage browser vendors to introduce APIs similar to that
discussed below, clearly marked as vendor-specific (e.g. for Firefox,
something like .mozStaticInnerHTML).