[whatwg] [html5] Pre-Last Call Comments

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 3 02:20:38 PDT 2009

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> Now that classid is gone, what will be the workaround for ActiveX
> objects where they are needed?

ActiveX controls are a vendor-specific technology, and thus not
appropriate for explicit support in HTML5 (just like we dropped <applet>).

The real workaround is "use HTML, CSS, JS, DOM", or, if you really need a
plugin, use a type that triggers the right plugin.

> 	2. Use a custom DTD with classid for validation?

That doesn't make the document valid.

> 	3. Use a custom type "application/vnd.acme-fancy-control+oleobject"
> for every control?

Yes.

> Of course, such things are inherently nonportable but they are widely
> used. It would be nice to have a way to validate them.

You can. If you use it the validator will tell you you're doing something
non-portable. This is intentional!