[whatwg] Vulgar fractions

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 01:19:29 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Kristof Zelechovski
<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:
> Vulgar fractions should be supported in hypertext markup without recourse to
> MathML.  They are vulgar, after all.

> Requiring the full-blown math rendering engine for everyday business activities,

Um, HTML5 requires MathML, so arguing against it is pointless.

> cooking and the like is hardly acceptable for authors that use vulgar fractions
> for quantities and prices (the latter perhaps historical) but do not understand
> much in mathematics (it is quite possible).

What's an Author? is it a person or a piece of software. I think it's
perfectly reasonable to expect that software allow users to enter
strange numbers and for the software to generate HTML5 compatible
MathML syntax.