[whatwg] HTML as a text format: Should <title> be optional?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jun 4 15:42:15 PDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Øistein E. Andersen wrote:

> HTML can be used as an advanced text format, and people may want to
> convert existing plain text to HTML.  For example's sake, consider the
> following:
>
> > A Short Document
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > This is a short plain-text document which someone
> > might want to convert into HTML.
> >
> > As faithful readers of this list will recall,
> > /Règles typographiques/ requires note names to be
> > typeset in italics (/ut/, /ré/, /mi/, etc.),
> > which is not possible in plain text.
>
> This corresponds to the following HTML:
>
> > <h1>A Short Document</h1>

> > might want to convert into HTML.

> > <i>Règles typographiques</i> requires note names to be
> > which is not possible in plain text.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not valid; the following two lines must be added
> to the top:
>
> > <!DOCTYPE html>
> > <title>A Short Document</title>
>
> A <title> is usually a good idea, but is it really necessary to require
> this for conformance?  After all, a <title> is not something which an
> author is likely to forget, and leaving it out has no unexpected
> consequences.

Leaving it out has a pretty important consequence, it breaks user
interfaces that need to refer to the document, e.g. "bookmarks" features
in browsers.

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Randy Drielinger wrote:

> If you're converting from a textfile, title could refer to the filename.
>
> If it's an automated process, it can be added by default.
>
> If it's manual, they'll have to remember the short html5 doctype and the
> title element.

It does indeed seem easy to include it.

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Michael Enright wrote:

> If you use HTML as a text file format you can still let the receiving
> parser infer all sorts of tags and allow yourself to write things like
> Andersen's first HTML version. If you want a title, put a title element
> in. Is the concern about validation? Can one really get in that much
> trouble without a pedantic validator checking your work? Could the
> validator's warning about missing doctype be taken as advisory? Is the
> doctype a problem? It only affects the details of rendering (by turning
> off quirks) and HTML5 is still not equivalent to pagemaker anyway,
> especially without CSS.

I'm not sure what you are asking for here.

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Øistein E. Andersen wrote:

> It could, but chances are that the original filename would typically be
> less useful than the URL, which is what most browsers use when the
> <title> element is omitted, so this rather sounds like an argument
> against forcing authors to include a <title>.

I don't see why this would be the case. In practice, however, if one is at
a loss as to what to use for the <title>, but one has an <h1>, then I
would recommend using the <h1>'s contents.

> Yes, my concern is that a validator should be useful as an authoring
> tool and not overwhelm the author with spurious errors.  As I see it,
> leaving out <title> is very much like leaving out a paragraph of text
> and not something that should matter for validation.

As it affects user interfaces, and since the cost of including a <title>
is so low, I think it makes sense to continue to make it required.