[whatwg] External document subset support

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jun 5 00:49:06 PDT 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Brett Zamir wrote:

> Section 10.1, "Writing XHTML documents" observes: "According to the XML
> specification, XML processors are not guaranteed to process the external
> DTD subset referenced in the DOCTYPE."
>
> While this is true, since no doubt the majority of web browsers are
> already able to process external stylesheets or scripts, might the very
> useful feature of external entity files, be employed by XHTML 5 as a
> stricter subset of XML (similar to how XML Namespaces re-annexed the
> colon character) in order to allow this useful feature to work for XHTML
> (to have access to HTML entities or other useful entities for one, as
> well as enable a poor man's localization, etc.)?

While there are arguments on both sides of whether this is a good idea or
not, I think the more important concern in this case is whether we can
extend XML in this way. I think in practice we should leave this up to the
XML specs and their successors. I don't think it would be appropriate for
us to profile the XML spec in this way.