[whatwg] Parsing RFC3339 constructs

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Jun 5 01:42:16 PDT 2009

Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> Not really. We just need a separator.
>> So why make it different from RFC 3339?
>
> Limiting the syntax to the simplest possible syntax was an intentional
> design choice intended to ease the burden on implementors and authors. In
> practice, pretty much every time we've made syntax case-insensitive, we've
> ended up having trouble because of it.

If this was a totally new syntax, I would agree.

But as something based on ISO8601 (and thereby also RFC 3339) it appears
to be a bad idea to make it less compatible just for that reason.

>>> Why?
>> Because it explains to readers how this is different. That is important
>> because it's natural to look for existing libraries to parse date formats.
>
> The HTML5 spec defines exactly how to parse dates. Implementors are
> required to implement what the spec describes, so reusing libraries is
> implicitly not likely to be useful here. RFC3339 isn't even a particularly
> important one in the grand scheme of things (ISO8601 comes to mind as a
> much higher-profile example).

I think it's unfortunate that HTML5 doesn't allow using an off-the-shelf
parser. But if it doesn't, and the temptation *will* be there to use
them, I'd recommend stating it very clearly.

> I'm certainly not proposing to go through every date format spec and
> explain how the rules in HTML5 differ from those rules. That is the kind
> of material that belongs in support documents.

BR, Julian