[whatwg] Google's use of FFmpeg in Chromium and Chrome

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Sun Jun 7 19:03:15 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Robert Sayre <sayrer at gmail.com> wrote:

> wrote about the practice of shipping encumbered software and calling
> it "open".

Where is the language where Google is calling H.264 "open"?

The closest I know of is "Google Chrome is made possible by the Chromium
open source project and other open source software" (from Tools->About
Google Chrome), which links to a page containing links to the FFMPEG
homepage and license.  I don't see that as saying what it sounds like you
claim something somewhere is saying?

In the end I personally view hostility towards patent-encumbered video
formats the same way I view hostility toward non-GPL "free software"
licenses: a stance I understand, but not one I agree with.  More importantly
for this thread in particular, I'm not sure what the purpose of stating that
opposition here is.  I thought the purpose of this thread was to resolve
questions people had about the use of FFMPEG vis-a-vis its license.  This is
probably going to be an ineffective forum if your hope is to dissuade Google
from shipping H.264 support.

PK