[whatwg] H.264-in-<video> vs plugin APIs

Eric Carlson eric.carlson at apple.com
Sun Jun 14 09:48:21 PDT 2009

Silvia -

On Jun 13, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> As for Safari and any other software on the Mac that is using the
> QuickTime framework, there is XiphQT to provide support. It's a
> QuickTime component and therefore no different to installing a Flash
> plugin, thus you can also count Safari as a browser that has support
> for Ogg Theora/Vorbis, even if I'm sure people from Apple would not
> like to see it this way.

   Speaking of misinformation and hyperbole, what makes you say
"people from Apple" want to hide the fact that Safari supports third
party QuickTime codecs? We *could* have limited WebKit to only support
QuickTime's built-in formats, but did not specifically so customers
can add other formats as they choose.

   We have never tried to hide this, it is ridiculous to imply
otherwise.

eric