[whatwg] oninput for contentEditable

Michael A. Puls II shadow2531 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 06:47:34 PDT 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:42:18 -0400, Ojan Vafai <ojan at chromium.org> wrote:

> SUMMARY
> Currently, textareas and text inputs support the "oninput" event that
> fires
> on all user-initiated modifications to their content. We should add this
> event to contentEditable elements as well and add an "action" property
> the
> specifies what action the user took that caused the input event.
>
> We should also add a cancellable "onbeforeinput" event.

I threw an 'input' event doc
<http://shadow2531.com/opera/testcases/oninput/html5_input_event_support.html>
together, which includes 'input' and 'beforeinput' for contentEditable
elements and documents in designMode. It also includes the .action
property.

Those are just my basic thoughts of how things should/could work.

However, I didn't yet mention what a value change for contentEditable
elements means. (Like that it's when the underlying markup changes)

I also left the list for the valid action property values empty, since
those would have to be agreed upon etc.

--
Michael