[whatwg] A Quick Introduction to HTML 5

Sam Dutton Sam.Dutton at bbc.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 04:43:57 PDT 2009

What's the audience for this section?  (Apologies if this has been
covered elsewhere.)

If the intended readers are new to HTML, as implied, then technical
words and concepts shouldn't be introduced without explanation.

For example:

   >> The tree formed by an HTML document in this way is turned into a
DOM tree when parsed. <<

DOM has not been explained at this point and won't mean anything to a
novice. (Neither will 'tree' or 'parsed', I guess.)

   >> This DOM tree can then be manipulated from scripts. <<

Might be good to explain what 'scripts' means. (Would it hurt to say
something like 'scripting languages such as JavaScript'? Still a bit
vague.)

   >> Since DOM trees are the "live" representation of an HTML document
<<

What does 'live' mean in this context?

   >> ... instead of the serialisation described above. Each element in
the DOM tree is represented by an object, and thus objects have APIs ...
<<

Again, novices won't understand 'serialisation', 'represented by an
object' or 'APIs'.

Sam Dutton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/