[whatwg] Codecs for <audio> and <video>

Dr. Markus Walther walther at svox.com
Tue Jun 30 09:08:15 PDT 2009

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Matthew Gregan wrote:
>> Is there any reason why PCM in a Wave container has been removed from
>> HTML 5 as a baseline for <audio>?
>
> Having removed everything else in these sections, I figured there wasn't
> that much value in requiring PCM-in-Wave support. However, I will continue
> to work with browser vendors directly and try to get a common codec at
> least for audio, even if that is just PCM-in-Wave.

Please, please do so - I was shocked to read that PCM-in-Wave as the
minimal 'consensus' container for audio is under threat of removal, too.

Frankly, I don't understand why audio was drawn into this. Is there any
patent issue with PCM-in-Wave? If not, then IMHO the decision should be
orthogonal to video.

-- Markus