[whatwg] MAP should be transparent

Kristof Zelechovski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Fri Mar 20 14:53:05 PDT 2009

The MAP element should be transparent.

If it contains only AREA elements, it is invisible and it can belong to
phrasing content; it is best placed alongside the IMG element that uses it;
even the example
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-elem
ent.html#the-map-element>  provided is invalid
<http://validator.nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.2a.pl%2F%7Ene01026%2Fimagemap.htm
> ; it is an undocumented deviation from version 4
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/dtd.html#special>  (content model
deviations are undocumented).  AREA elements should not belong to any
category; they can appear only as immediate children of the MAP element
(otherwise they are ignored per HTML4 so we can safely make them invalid).

If it contains anything else, it must contain flow content for legacy
reasons; therefore, it must belong to flow content.

(I am aware of the fact that AREA elements are slightly deprecated.)

Editorial: The title of 4.8.11
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-elem
ent.html>  The canvas element - HTML 5 should be changed to something more
appropriate - the page displays also subsection 4.8.12.

Cheers,

Chris