[whatwg] localStorage + worker processes

Dmitry Titov dimich at google.com
Fri Mar 20 15:34:07 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Drew Wilson <atwilson at google.com> wrote:

> One alternative I'd like to propose is to remove access to localStorage for
> dedicated workers, and give SharedWorkers access to localStorage, but have
> that storage be partitioned by the worker name (i.e. the worker can access
> it, but it's not shared with web pages or any other workers and so you don't
> have any synchronicity issues).

This may be interesting. It allows to keep single API for localStorage. Most
of the usage is probably going to happen inside such a worker - in other
words, sharing the info with other pages of the same origin may not be
needed, and there is always async communication when a live page wants to
share data with a shared worker.

Dmitry