[whatwg] Web Addresses vs Legacy Extended IRI

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Mar 23 01:45:39 PDT 2009

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Note that the Web addresses draft isn't specific to HTML5. It is intended
> to apply to any user agent that interacts with Web content, not just Web
> browsers and HTML. (That's why we took it out of HTML5.)

Be careful; depending on what you call "Web content". For instance, I
would consider the Atom feed content (RFC4287) as "Web content", but
Atom really uses IRIs, and doesn't need workarounds for broken IRIs in
content (as far as I can tell).

Don't leak out workarounds into areas where they aren't needed.

BR, Julian